VASER Liposuction Aftercare
VASER Liposuction is one of our most popular procedures and although it is a minimally invasive procedure, proper aftercare is key to achieving optimum results. Below are some guidelines recommended by our expert surgeons for a safe and speedy recovery after your surgery.
*Please note that individual results from VASER Liposuction will vary for every patient. Specific results cannot be guaranteed and will depend on how your body heals.
Bruising and Swelling
You should expect bruising and swelling following your procedure which is completely normal. Depending on how your body heals, bruising and swelling can take up to 6 weeks or longer to completely subside. It is absolutely essential that you follow the aftercare guidelines given by your surgeon to help reduce the amount of bruising and swelling you experience after your VASER Liposuction procedure.
VASER Liposuction involves injecting the targeted area with a tumescent fluid making it easier to remove the fat cells. Some of this fluid will remain in the body after the procedure, and although this will eventually be reabsorbed by your body, our surgeons find that using drains allows the fluids to leave the body a lot more quickly. Depending on your procedure, the drains will typically be removed 2-3 days following your discharge from hospital.
*Please note that you cannot have a shower until after your drains are removed.
VASER Liposuction involves removing fat from targeted areas of your body through tiny incisions. The incision areas will be sutured after your procedure, and they will be covered with absorbent pads to prevent staining on your clothes.
- You may experience some fluid leakage following your surgical procedure which is completely normal. This is a result of the tumescent fluid used to help remove the fat cells during the VASER Liposuction procedure
- The sutures used during your surgical procedure are dissolvable and although it may take up to 6 weeks, they will dissolve by themselves
- You must dry your incision areas properly after you have a shower and apply Iodine solution first before applying the antibiotic cream
You will return from your Liposcution procedure with a compression garment on
- You must wear your garment at all times for the first 6 weeks following your procedure to ensure the smooth retraction of your skin
- You can start wearing a waist trainer on top of your garment 3 weeks after your surgery
- You can wash your garment in the shower to keep it clean, but you must ensure that you dry it properly before you put it back on
Please note that if you stop wearing your compression garment before you are advised you will not experience optimum results as your skin can retract unevenly producing wrinkles and folds.
Pain and Discomfort
Immediately following your surgery, you should expect to feel some pain and discomfort which will be controlled with painkillers. Although every patient’s recovery varies, you might continue to feel pain for another day or two.
Your surgeon will prescribe you painkillers to help you recover comfortably after your surgery. You will also be given antibiotics which will help reduce the chance of an infection, along with good personal hygiene. Medications will vary for every patient depending on the surgical procedure and the patient’s pre-existing health conditions and allergies.
You are strongly advised against taking any medications containing aspirin for the first two weeks following your surgery.
Despite having fat removed, you’re likely to feel “heavier” and possibly constipated following VASER Liposuction surgery. Therefore, it’s advised that you eat a balanced diet straight after your surgery as nutrition is a key component of your surgery recovery.
- Consuming leafy greens, fruits and wholegrain cereals which are high in fibre can help prevent constipation
- Eating a protein-based diet is essential for your recovery following surgery. However, dairy products can also cause constipation, so they should be consumed in moderation
- Sugary, fatty and processed foods will delay your recovery as they have higher amounts of fat, sugar and salt and have far less fibres and vitamins
- Foods high in sodium can affect your healing process as sodium is known to cause inflammation in the body
- Stay hydrated by drinking at least 4 litres of water a day, as it will help reduce your swelling
Physical Activities and Exercise
It’s very important that you rest for the first few days following your surgery to allow your body to heal. Although, you can expect to feel some pain and discomfort in the first two days, you are advised to take short walks once you feel up to it, because even the smallest of movements can speed up the healing process. But, until you’re fully healed, here’re some things you shouldn’t do following your surgery;
- Do not go in the sun or under the sunbed in the first 6 weeks to avoid the risk of hyperpigmentation
- Avoid sexual activity for 2 weeks after surgery
- Do not drink alcohol for 2 weeks after surgery as it can delay wound healing
- Do not smoke for 2 weeks after surgery as your body will heal faster if you avoid cigarettes during your recovery
- Do not go swimming and or use the bath and sauna for the first 6 weeks after surgery to avoid the risk of infection
- Avoid heavy lifting for 6 weeks until your body is fully healed
Although it’s recommended that you take short walks to keep active and reduce swelling, you must wait 6 weeks before you start exercising following your surgery.
You should avoid driving for 7-10 days following VASER Liposuction surgery, as your movements may be restricted due to discomfort.
Lymphatic Drainage Massages
Manual Lymphatic Drainage Massages are an essential part of your recovery following VASER Liposuction. For optimum results and to help speed-up your recovery our surgeons recommended a course of 8-10 MLD massages as soon as you return home.
Benefits of Lymphatic Drainage Massages include;
- Immune system stimulation
- Reduces swelling and improves circulation
- Helps with surgical healing
- Reduces the risk of fibrosis and unevenness
- Reduces stress and relaxes the body
- Helps to heal pain and discomfort
- Reduces water retention
Although many patients notice an immediate change in their body following VASER Liposuction surgery, final results can take up to 6 months depending on how your body heals. Therefore, it is essential that you follow the aftercare guidelines given by your surgeon during this period to achieve the best possible results.
Don’t forget that specific results cannot be guaranteed as every individual has different bodies therefore everyone’s results will vary.
*Please note that you can still gain weight after VASER Liposuction surgery, so a healthy lifestyle is absolutely key to maintaining your results.